Happy Thanksgiving
First off, sincerest apologies for last week's blog. In a fleeting moment of "I miss America" syndrome, I got a little bitter. Then I remembered that I was young, healthy...just all around lucky to be alive...and I gave myself a good kick in the ass. Now that's the american spirit.
Luckily things immediately looked up in my life; otherwise you might have been subjected to yet another self-pitying entry that subsequently would make you want to jump--or push me--off of a bridge. First of all, there is nothing a few illegally downloaded episodes of my favorite american TV shows can't cure. Michael Scott and Blair Waldorf along with my new pal Sue Sylvester could literally rouse me from a coma. Second, there is nothing like Paris at night. Well, let's be honest. There is nothing like Paris plus a little booze at night.
Saturday I met up with a french friend I knew from study abroad and we proceeded to prendre un verre (get a drink...or three). Anyways, after a few verres, I went to meet Kate for dinner. Feeling sisterly, I decided to give my sister a buzz while on the metro. Well what do you know? My charming accent (NOT!) attracted the attention of a beau french guy.....and okay, okay I admit, maybe I was not-so-subtly eyeing him (who said subtlety was my strong point??) Well, as luck would have it, he transferred metros at the same time as me and struck up conversation...!! I just hope he didn't notice my happy as a pig in shit/I'm buzzed grin.
Needless to say, the rest of my night was equally lively. Kate and I found this great little bar where I could actually get a martini (not dirty but hey, I was in a forgiving mood). I may or may not have tried to buy a drink for a man who confessed he was married but...that is a different story for a different day. And by that I mean never. So my night was a success; I succesfully banished that funk I was in and I remembered why I loved it here.
So before I talk about the main event I have to tell you this little anecdote. So I was just (like fifteen minutes ago) pulling in the driveway with Eliott and these two huge---and let me emphasize the fact that they were HUGE---dogs came out of nowhere. I almost hit one with my car. They jumped onto my tiny Panda and frankly scared the shit out of me. This, for those of you that know me, may come as a surprise to you. I love dogs. I practically have a special language for my two dogs who are known for sleeping on my pillows next to me when I'm at home. Anyways, before I creep you out...I couldn't get these dogs to go away and was too scared to open my windows and yell because my car is so low to the ground that they could have easily jumped in. I finally managed to pull in the driveway and called Alain for...moral support? Brute strength? I'm not sure exactly, but these dogs weren't about to leave and I had to pee for goodness' sake! Next thing I know, he comes charging out of the house (I'm still laughing about this image and just had to relocate to finish writing so he wouldn't think I was crazy) with a huge stick and runs up the driveway yelling at them, his stick breaking in half and the dogs successfully scattering. At this point, I was laughing so hard tears wear rolling down my face and Eliott was looking at my like I was crazy. Maybe I am. I know this can't be nearly as funny to you but it gave me the best laugh I have had in weeks.
And now........Thanksgiving! It's Turkey Day and don't you worry about me, I'm having Thanksgiving dinner! It is my favorite holiday of the year and I can't tell you all how bummed I am to be missing it in the states with my family. Few things compare to a day devoted to family and eating absolutely delicious food. I love being gathered in the kitchen with our small Thanksgiving group, cooking, tasting, eating, drinking; basically just waiting for the main event. I can almost smell my aunt's scrumptious greens and mom's squash soup....mmmmm. But alas, this year I will not be there to partake in the eat-til-you're-comatose fest.
So the next best thing--well two things--is a.) the store Thanksgiving in Paris and b.) takeout Thanksgiving dinner from a french bistro sympathetic to all us Americans in France on Turkey Day. Yesterday for the price of a small child I bought a box of Stove Top and cranberries (my favorite dish on the big day...weird, I know). They also have other rarities that are only made in the U.S.: peanut butter, Campbell's Soup, Lucky Charms, cream cheese, good candy. Tonight I am headed to Kate's to eat a Thanksgiving meal with her french family. While it won't compare to the real thing, it will feel nice to be gathered with friends on a holiday that's meant to be shared with those you love. Anyways, I hear french turkey is better than american turkey. But then again, the French would say that, wouldn't they?
Happy Turkey Day everyone! Remember how awesome it is to be with your family today (I may have shed a tear or five as I wrote this on the train...) and give thanks for all that you have. Love to you all!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home